Wednesday, March 2, 2011

And we're back!

For absolutely no reason that I can tell, the Eskimo is nursing again! After six days of striking, he just up and decided to nurse again. These past few days have been really difficult. All I could think last night was that I didn't know the last time I had nursed the Eskimo would be the LAST time. Then, as suddenly as the strike started, it was over and life is back to "normal". With one exception. I now have a much greater appreciation for my nursing relationship with my son. It's such a unique relationship nursing mothers and their babies have. I think a lot of people overlook what a privilege it is to be able to nourish your baby with the perfect food, made exactly as nature intended it. So many moms go the route of formula for various reasons, some valid, and some simply due to lack of education. But they never realize what they're missing out on. Ladies, if you have the opportunity to nurse your baby, take advantage of it, even if you only do it for the first few months. You're giving your baby the most wonderful gift in the world, but you'll also be amazed at how much you get out of it.

I'm sorry I can't offer any solid advice or tricks for ending a nursing strike. I tried everything that people had suggested to me. I even took a bath with the Eskimo yesterday. Not sure how this was supposed to help, but multiple people suggested it. He thought he had died and gone to heaven getting to take a bath in the real tub in the middle of the day. But he still had no interest in nursing. I did sneak into his room last night around 4am and did a dream feed. Sure enough, he latched on. And then he latched on again this morning when he woke up, before his morning nap and again before his afternoon nap! I'm still in awe over the fact that something that was causing me such stress for days can "poof", all of a sudden be gone.

Moral of the story, be grateful for the time you have with your little one, and never give up!

1 comment:

  1. Found you on DS, you can follow back if you'd like :)
    brickhousecooker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete